Saturday, May 26, 2012

Lacto-fermented sauerkraut

I, Polish girl, am trying my hand at making lacto-fermented sauerkraut. I got this recipe from Joanne who I think is brilliant. Recipe here: http://frugalhomeandhealth.blogspot.com/2012/03/sauerkraut-lacto-fermented.html


1st, I quartered & cored the cabbage and cut it into strips.

Then I pounded each quarter with 1.5 t. salt for approx
5 minutes til it reduces & gets juicy. I added more salt for
each batch I pounded. I used the handle of a knife
sharpener to pound with.

I added the cabbage to a mason jar.
I pushed down. This is cabbage juice resulting from the
process, no water added.
 
 
I cut a margarine lid to size and put it on top of the cabbage. I
filled a small glass jar with water, used it as a weight to keep
all of the cabbage under the cabbage juice so it
doesn't rot. Now I will wait several days until it gets very
bubbly. (Approx 5-6 days). Then I'll refrigerate. Eat
"raw" - do not cook - the beneficial bacteria is
very good for your gut! If you cook the kraut it will
kill the beneficial bacteria.
This was very fun and pretty exciting! It makes me feel more connected with my Polish heritage. 

Joanne's other recipes:
http://frugalhomeandhealth.blogspot.com/p/recipes.html

I think I'll try the homemade butter next, since we get raw milk directly from a farm every week. All you really need for that is some salt, a cake mixer, and some time. You also get buttermilk out of the process.

2 comments:

  1. Looks good so far :) My oldest is the one who likes this stuff the most. He'd eat it every day if I always had it on hand! He mixes it in all sorts of things ... spaghetti, soups, pastas, beans, or whatever else is served for supper. I just like a little bit on the side.

    Thanks for letting me know you are trying it; I hope you like it!

    P.S. I'm very far from brilliant, but thanks for the thought.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm, sauerkraut mixed in spaghetti?! I don't know about that!!! LOL

    ReplyDelete