Monday, February 20, 2012

Non-aerogarden, yet still planty, stuff

Weird day.

Nightmares about laundry (I hate laundry!), camera died, lost the camera charger, found the camera charger, lost the car keys, tore up house freaking out looking for the car keys, found the car keys in lunchbox and was almost late to work (1 more minute and I would have been)!!!

I am happy to announce that the shrub growing right outside my back door is an azalea with a TON of buds, some of which have opened to display large, beautiful pink flowers.

From what I've read, they only like acidic soil and most of my soil is alkaline (sand).


Well, this growing azalea inspired me.


So yesterday I tried an experiment.  I planted two small azaleas out back.  I dug a large hole, much larger than the plants, and filled the whole hole with nice, fertile Jungle Mix shrub soil.  I did not put any of the sand back in.  And my two azaleas went in there.  We will see what happens.  Soilwise.  I did not have mulch on hand, so I went oldschool, using leaves.

THEN..
This morning I woke up to water my new shrubs and found that an armadillo had trampled one azalea, breaking about 1/3 of it off.

The right plant got trampled.  The front middle "plant" is actually the part of the azalea that was broken off.  I stuck it in the ground to see if it would grow.

Then it dug 3 big holes in my nice Jungle Mix soil around the plants.  That's how bf knew it was an armadillo - we didn't actually SEE it.. Well, what the hell?

Anyway, I tucked the broken ends (front, middle foliage in the picture) of the stems back into the ground.  Some stuff grows from clippings, so maybe I'll get lucky with them.

2/21 update!  Found another azalea in the front flower bed!  It's kind of a bare-looking one.  But see the pink buds near the bottom?


Since spring is just about here, you may start seeing some more outdoorsy posts.  Hope ya don't mind!

2 comments:

  1. Is this the shrub with a severe lean? Poor azalea. She'll get better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hehe, it's still standing upright. Not as full as before. Armadilla.. who woulda thunk?

    ReplyDelete