Monday, February 13, 2012

Days 45-47

Herbs gone wild again!  I think I'll have to do another harvest.  Oregano and thyme are the culprits!  Guess I have to look up some recipes.  I should start giving herbs to people that visit.


I am still having to lightly prune the top leaves off the tomatoes to keep them off the lights, but they are not growing as fast as they were initially.  This is a good thing because I want to keep the lights down for the little herbs that just started.  Per the Aerogarden website, when you are undecided between pruning and raising the lights, prune.


I also lightly side prune leaves that are shading the herbs.  Basil is getting bushy again!  You know what that means?  More great sandwiches :)


Dad has been counting his tomato flowers and threw me off-guard by asking how many flowers I have.  I did not think of counting them up to this point.  I was not sure if he counted actual flowers or flowers and flower buds.  I counted BOTH flowers and flower buds.  I asked my boyfriend to guess how many were on one plant including flower buds.  He said 9.  WRONG!  The left plant has 27 flowers and flower buds.  The right plant has 29.  It was kinda hard to count them because some of the flower buds are itty-bitty.  I would have never imagined there were that many!  I have been shaking the plants daily to pollinate (since there are no bees inside).

No comments:

Post a Comment