Saturday, August 16, 2014

Ready for bees!

Two flower gardens planted and bee house up. Bees were around while I was planting so I have high hopes!

I counted on mason bees but I don't know if they really are in Florida due to the humidity (I am getting mixed info on the web about it), so I am going to participate in the University of Florida's Native Buzz project, documenting and ID'ing the solitary bees I get.

I'm excited!

Since I planted I seemed to instantly attract butterflies too!

The flowers are hanging out with my pineapple and aloe.





See the viewing feature on the side? The wood panel slides out to reveal the inside of 2 bee tubes behind plexiglass.





See my previous post to view the flowers I previously planted. The bees should have plenty of reasons to stay in my area and use the house. One other thing I'm not sure about though.. is it the beginning, middle, or end of bees season? Well, either way, plenty of bees are around. But if they already have nests, then I may have to wait for residents next year.

Also, a few of the watermelon sprouts got stem rot, but I have some strong ones too and they are starting to vine along the ground. Pics coming soon, once they get a little bigger.

No comments:

Post a Comment