Monday, August 11, 2014

Solitary Mason Bees

I have begun an hobby of keeping solitary mason bees!

Here is a video all about them:
http://www.growingagreenerworld.com/solitary-bees-pollinators/

The bee house is being shipped. It's a 20-tube house with an observation window (basically the window is plexiglass with a piece of wood that slides over it, so it remains dark for the bees until you want to view). I did get it through the company on the video, Crown Bees, which sells through Amazon.

Here is the bee house I ordered:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004G7Q1F6/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

There were nicer bee houses to choose from but I really want the observation window, especially since this is my first time keeping bees.

Step 1 was to add native (flowering) plants to the landscape. I have alot out front but not too many in back where the house will be, so I planted a ring of pentas around the bird bath.



I have more flowers to plant (coneflowers, blanket flowers, black eyed susan), but I don't know where to put them yet.



Here are some shots of the front of the house where I know the bees will have a field day.







Pentas:






I might move this plumbago to the back...

No comments:

Post a Comment