Saturday, October 20, 2012

Cherry Tomatoes!

Here are some shots I took of the main Aerogarden.

Cherry Tomato Plant, Chives, Bachelor's Button, Jalapeno

I really tried to get in close for some of the cherry tomato shots.  I am so surprised that this plant is producing so quickly.  It has been 6 weeks since I planted it, and I have not even raised the light yet!

I have been pruning the cherry tomato plant pretty much every day.  It grows close to the lights, but I don't raise them because I am waiting for the jalapeno pepper plant to catch up in height.  So I have been "taking a little off the top" each day.  Occasionally I give it a little trim on the sides if it grows into the chives or out the back or sides of the Aerogarden.  Leaves don't do much good if they're not getting light!  

Cherry tomato and flower buds
Now I don't know if this extra pruning made the plant start producing early or what, but I don't remember getting tomatoes this quickly the last time I grew cherry tomatoes in the Aerogarden.  I'll have to revisit my blog from December planting to compare the timeline.

Cherry tomato and flower buds
Sometimes the flowers approach the light, and I worry that they may burn.  I don't want to lose tomatoes just because I have to wait for that jalapeno!  So what I have been doing is re-positioning a nearby tomato leaf on top of the flowers to protect them, should the plant get a little too high.


3 cherry tomatoes hiding out in the plant
Last season I remember pruning a lot more heavily.  I would not prune every day, only when I felt like the plant was getting out of control.  Then I'd do a mass pruning all at once.  Maybe that stressed the plant more than these little mini daily prunings I have been doing this season.  I guess I am learning little techniques as I go!  It sure is fun, seeing the fruits of my labor, as they say!  :)

I had to pretty much put my face in the plant to see these
guys hiding out in the middle.

Overall shot of this Aerogarden

No comments:

Post a Comment