Thursday, August 29, 2013

Rain rain go away

Dear followers,

You may be wondering why you have not seen many posts lately. For one the weather has been rainy and the garden has not been doing well. I had to tear up most of the one raised bed because the plants rotted from being too soggy. The 2nd reason is that I haven't been going out too much because the mosquitoes are out of control and I am allergic to them. If I go out to the garden for 20 minutes have 10 or 15 mosquito bites.

Anyway, these are the plants that survived:

Cucumber, although not the healthiest due to the rain...



Jalapeno : a VERY happy plant and a big producer





Green peppers (growth has been stunted, but they are starting to make flowers now)





And okra, which seems to be happy and hearty no matter what the weather conditions!



Also the avocado trees in pots seem to be doing just fine and have a lot of new growth.

Someone ran into the upside down tomato, I suspect, during a party I had. It broke off so I just started a new one.

I did plant some corn out there and I'm waiting for it to sprout, even though thus far I have not had luck with corn. But hey, fall is coming.

Here are the Aerogardens.

Mint (unruly and out of control!) Tastes great in water..



The globe basil also got crazy so I put it up for adoption :)



I am pleased with the newest garden, red fire peppers and red heirloom cherry tomatoes.





On the gardening agenda is:
- find a spot to plant the avocado trees (may wait til spring as last winter was very cold)
- fill the empty bed. Corn was planted. May plant turnip and cabbage seeds or cheat and buy starter plants at Lowe's

And when it gets colder we definitely have to get the trees trimmed!

That's about it. Ta ta for now!

-Min

No comments:

Post a Comment