Saturday, July 6, 2013

New crops

The spring batch of crops pretty much expired due to storm season causing constantly soggy conditions (which also draws pests). But that doesn't mean we didn't get awesome harvests!!! We made salsa countless times from the Roma tomatoes, cilantro, and jalapenos. We actually served some of the salsa at our 4th of July get together and got several compliments on it! After a few tweaks, I have that recipe down pat!



I took the cascading petunias out of the Aerogarden, moved them to hanging baskets, and replaced them with tomatoes and Red Fire Peppers. First I'm starting some more romas for the outdoor garden, then I will remove them and replace with cherry tomatoes which I will grow inside.



I also started Romas under the ag grow lights in a burpee seed starting kit. They too will go outside.

A new upside-down tomato was started too. We enjoyed cherry tomato harvests from the previous one!



I plan to try my hand at making hot sauce from the Red Fire chilis. We will see how that goes!



In the other Aerogarden I have some assorted herbs. Globe basil, mint, oregano, thyme, and chives.



New pickling cukes, dill, and okra were also started outside. We have really been enjoying the homemade pickles. However, the pickling cuke plants we had going before were also affected by soggy conditions, so we pulled those up after the new plants sprouted.

Thanks to my awesome boyfriend for cleaning the expired plants out of the raised beds! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment