Monday, June 17, 2013

Friend or foe?



I wake this morning to find five of these caterpillars on my dill, destroying it. At first I tried to pick one off but he reared up at me and then I thought maybe I shouldn't be touching it because it might be poisonous. So considering the condition of my dill, either chewed off or turned brown from the damage that they caused, I decided to go get the pesticide and I sprayed the plant down. Then I sprayed the surrounding plants just in case. We have been using the dill to make pickles, and we grow the cucumbers in the bed next to the dill.

A few minutes later I looked up the caterpillar and what type it was. As it turns out these caterpillars would have become beautiful black swallowtail butterflies. So then I started feeling guilty, but I already sprayed them, so what could I do at this point? I walked back out there to look and I saw that the spray had already taken effect. But on the other hand I didn't want any further damage to my garden.

I still don't know if I made the right choice.

No comments:

Post a Comment