Wednesday, August 8, 2012

A few updates

Hello, my friends!  Sorry I haven't been posting much.  I fractured my ankle and I haven't been getting out to the garden as much as I'd like.  Thankfully my boyfriend has been watering and tending things for me.

Some fatalities we had:
Corn - it turned brown and crisp, despite the adequately moist soil.
Cantaloupe - either the leaves rot or the ants drill holes through the fruit and eat the inside
Squash - it simply doesn't seem to be doing well down here.
Heirloom tomato - we got 2 or 3 yummy tomatoes off of it but it quit producing.  In Florida, cherry or roma tomatoes tend to do the best.

I think next season we should add some sand into the soil, because we are not getting the proper drainage.  Right now we have several different types of store-bought soil in the raised bed: organic garden soil, manure, and top soil.

When I do get out to the garden, I usually pull/prune some of the dead stuff out and replace with new seeds. I put in some okra seeds because the okra is doing very well and it's still the planting season for it.  I also put in jack-o-lantern pumpkin seeds in late July.  Green bean seeds were soaked overnight and planted in warm soil per the instructions.  Hopefully they will sprout and climb the trellis.

The sweet potatoes are thriving!  We already have some big sweet potatoes that will be ready to harvest soon.

I got a massive harvest of salad greens from the Aerogarden, and we get to pick green peppers, eggplants, and cherry tomatoes constantly from the potted plants outdoors.

Stay tuned for the pics!

No comments:

Post a Comment