Sunday, January 29, 2012

Days 30-33

Day 30:


Day 30 - baby savory:


Day 31:


Day 31 - adorable little savory sprouts!


Day 32: 


Day 33 - OK, I've lopped the tops off the tomatoes (per instructions) once and keep pruning them off the lights and horizontally (to make sure the herbies get enough light too), but they are taking off so fast, I can't hold off on raising the light any longer.  I've been having to prune daily!  They say to keep all the plants within 2 inches of each other in height before raising the lights, and I wanted to wait for the parsley to sprout and the savory to grow a little bigger, but these tomatoes are like, ready to go!  Also they just grew a bunch of flower buds and I don't want to lop them off either.  I want me some tomatoes!


The basil is right up there with the tomatoes, in a race for height.  I've had to harvest basil 2 or 3 times already, adding some to sandwiches and sauces.  The rest I had to freeze in individual containers with a little bit of water.  Basil ice cubes, per my friend's suggestion, which can just simply be dropped (or thawed, drained, and dropped) into recipes.

My bf's neice came over today and I showed her how you can eat leaves off the herb plants.  She thought that was really cool and went back for seconds & thirds.  I made sure to tell her to be very careful with the pruners and to just cut off the very tip of the stem with a leaf or two on it.  It seems like the thyme was her favorite.  She said the oregano was spicy but it reminded her of pizza.  She asked her dad if they can make pizza with the herbs.  There certainly is plenty of herbs to share!

(She asked for paper & crayons while she was here which I gave to her and left the room.  After they had left, I found her paper which said, "To: Santa.  I want a Aero Garden."  LOL!  And it's only January!


2 comments:

  1. All I'm saying is I want to see some pasta sauce with this basil. I hear spaghetti dinner night or pizza night at someone's place (mine or yours, we can do either) <3

    ReplyDelete